Free Moving Estimate
Please Isert The Pickup Zip To Continue...
Please Isert The Delivery Zip To Continue...
Please Isert Date To Continue...

Contact info

323-988-4243 (office line)

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Monday thru Friday: 8 AM – 7 PM

Saturday: 8 AM –6 PM

Sunday: 9 AM – 5 PM


Book Appointment with us on MerchantCircle


Los Angeles Movers 

Commercial Driving Laws and Regulations  

CDL test


Federal and California Motor Vehicle Safety Programs were created to improve traffic safety on our highways. As a result there were developed licensing and testing requirements for drivers of commercial vehicles which equal or exceeds federal standards.

It takes specials skills, professional attitude and experience to safely operate large trucks. Only professional drivers will receive and keep a CDL (Commercial Driver License), which is a proof of driver's professional skills and aptitude.

To operate commercial vehicles in California, one must apply for a CDL. The applicant must be a California resident. The driver need a CDL to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles that require Class A or Class B license or Class C license with endorsements.


  • A commercial motor vehicle is a straight truck or a combination of tractor and trailer used for transportation of property and:
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVW) of over 26,001 pounds.
  • Tows any vehicle with a GVW of over 10,001 pounds.
  • Tows more than one vehicle of a trailer.
  • Has three or more axles (excluding vehicles weighing under 6,000 pounds)
  • Trucks that transport hazardous materials.


  • Drivers that tow trailer coach, when the towing is not for compensation. These drivers must get a noncommercial Class A license.
  • Non-civilian military personnel operating military vehicles.


In California - apply at any Department of Motor Vehicles the applicant must:

  • Drive within California, for hire if you are 18 to 20 years of age. Drivers 18 to 20 years old may not engage in interstate commerce activities.
  • To engage in interstate commerce (drive truck across state lines) the driver must be of 21 years of age or older.
  • A driver applying for commercial license must submit to alcohol and drug testing. If refused the test, the CDL will not be issued or renewed.

A CDL driver must get a "medical card" completed by a U.S. doctor of medicine (M.D.)

Medical Card


  • Applicant must pass vision, knowledge (law), and performance (pre-trip and driving, if required) test to get original CDL. Law and vision tests may be required for renewals. A driving test is required:
  • For an original CDL.
  • To renew a CDL expired for more than two years.

The CDL law tests are:

  • General Knowledge Test, for all A and B Class applicants.
  • Pre-trip inspection.
  • Air Brakes Test, if driver to operate vehicles with air brakes.
  • Combination Vehicle Test, if you drive Class A combination vehicle.

  • Pre-trip inspection - demonstration of knowledge of specific features and equipment on the test truck.

    Skills test - performance of skills that test abilities and controls to maneuver the vehicle. The test consists of exercises marked by traffic cones or markers. 

    Driving test - driving a DMV - specified route. The test time is about 90 minutes long, it includes left and right turns, intersections, railroad crossings, curves, up and down grades, rural or semi-rural roads, city multi-lane streets, and highway driving. 


    • If driver's class C driving privilege was suspended;
    • Convicted of driving under influence of alcohol or drugs;
    • Refuse to submit, or fail to complete a drug & acohol test.


    A maximum total length of a straight or single truck is 40 feet (including the cab and the box). The maximum length of the moving truck's box is 28 feet plus attic space over the driver's cab of another 3 to 3.5 feet.

    A maximum total length of tractor and trailer is 75 feet.


    The truck or trailer height limit measured from the surface of the road on which it stands, is 14 feet.


    The drivers are required to comply with California's driver hours of service regulations when you are involved in INTRASTATE commerce. Intrastate commerce does not consist of:

    • Crossing state lines;
    • Transporting cargo that originated in a different state;
    • Transporting cargo destined outside of California.

    Federal hours of service regulations are to be complied with when involved in INTERSTATE commerce. Interstate commerce considered:

    • Cargo originates out of state;
    • Cargo is destined out of state;
    • Any combination of the above.